"There's always going to be some people who waste opportunities and some that grasp them."
- Ep97. Masego Mothei, The Monica Kade Podcast
In Episode 97 of The Monica Kade Podcast we talk to Masego Mothei, our third conversation in the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls series.
Masego grew up in a small town called De Deur in South Africa. Both her my parents had very little schooling, but somehow, managed to get her and her four siblings through school. She was accepted into the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in 2009.
After graduating from OWLAG she pursued a degree in BA Languages and Culture at Stellenbosch University, South Africa. Masego also graduated Cum Laude with distinction majoring in Chinese Studies and Applied English Language Studies, not to mention she also won the National Chinese Bridge Competition in 2017, which tests the Chinese proficiency of university students in the entire country.
Masego has gone on to complete her Honours degree through the same university focusing on the Chinese language (Mandarin).
What I loved most about Masego was her enthusiasm, optimistic outlook and the belief she holds in herself. Her message is simple, it doesn’t matter where you come from, go and chase your dreams.
- What it was like growing up in De Deur
- How it felt to grow up with her parents working almost an entire year, barely seeing them
- Her experience of the process to apply for OWLAG
- What it felt like to be accepted and what did this meant to Masego
- What new perspective towards life OWLAG instilled
- The greatest personal lesson she gained from studying at OWLAG
- Her experience of studying in a foreign country (China) for a semester
- What type of impact Masego would like to have on the world
- What does it mean to be the best version of yourself and what does that look like Masego
- How she rises above life's challenges
- What wisdom Masego would part with others chasing their dreams.
- Sunset or sunrise, and why?
- What she's afraid of?
- The piece of wisdom she's been passed down that she lives by?
RATE AND REVIEW
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd absolutely love you to please rate and review this conversation on iTunes. It helps others like you find the podcast and listen to stories that elevate and empower individuals to be their best.